Sunday, March 8, 2009

Frugal Tip #18

Frugal Tip #18

Freeze your leftovers!

This is something I just recently discovered... that you can freeze your leftover vegetables! I was always having to throw out vegetables I forgot to use before they went bad. Especially when you have to buy a bag of carrots, for example, for a recipe that uses 2 carrots. Then the rest of my bag would mold and I'd have wasted that money. Then I'd have to buy another bag of carrots for my next recipe.

But then... I discovered that you can freeze vegetables (and fruit and canned things) yourself. Most veggies freeze really well. Everything from bell peppers to parsley will freeze in a freezer bag and cook just fine afterwards. For the most part, all you have to do is cut off the useless parts of the veggies and put it in a bag in the freezer (you can cut it up too if you want). Voila! 2 weeks later, you take it out, cut it up frozen if you didn't cut it up before, and throw it in your recipe. Tastes just as good.

Frozen things can keep up to three months, which gives you time to use the leftovers. I also freeze my canned items that I only had to use half of... like tomato soup, etc. Then I defrost it later and use it. A great way to stretch your pennies.


1 comment:

Jen said...

Great tip! I read somewhere recently that some veggies do better in the freezer if you blanch them first.

Post a Comment

 
- Hot Frugal Momma -